Good Neurologist in BC?

Concerns specific to those in Canada

Good Neurologist in BC?

Postby Moebird » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:07 am

Hi - I'm an old-timer who hasn't been to the Angioma Alliance forum for a couple of years. 2 years ago, I left Calgary where I had a good neurologist and support team at the Chronic Pain Centre (but not much else, and I thought those were bad reasons for remaining in a place!) Anyway, I'm very frustrated with the neurologist I was referred to in Penticton. I've seen him twice - the first time he wanted to reminisce about his old university days with my old neurologist. The second time he said he thought I just had a bad case of fibromyalgia and talked me into trying Lyrica again, with the same result I had the first time I tried it - incontinence. Both times I saw him, I went out to the car and cried afterwards, I was so frustrated (I think that was the emotion.) He hasn't even ordered my old MRIs from Calgary, and has not sent me for an MRI. I haven't had one for at least 3 years now, and I'm deteriorating - getting stiffer and experiencing increased pain, all on my right side.
Can anyone recommend a good neurologist in the Okanagan or even perhaps the Lower Mainland? :D
Moebird

Re: Good Neurologist in BC?

Postby kirkmc » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:19 am

No recommendations, but, Hi! Welcome back!
Two brainstem CAs in the pons. Big Bleed in July 2005, previous, undiagnosed bleeds in 1982 and 1987, and several smaller bleeds in the past few years. I live in a town in the French Alps. http://www.mcelhearn.com
kirkmc
Site Admin

Postby vandy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:43 am

Hi and Welcome back,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing more issues with your health.

I am not familiar with BC at all, but when doing a google search in your area, there are a few mentioned through rate my MD web site. Perhaps you can investigate them a bit more.

http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/58883/Dr-Dermot-Adams-Kelowna-BC.html

Good Luck with the search.

Henk :ugeek:
vandy

Postby Libby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:50 am

Moe,
I am so glad to have you back on the forum. I thought I wrote to you last night. I'm under a lot of stress right now, and I don't always seem to know what I am doing.
You have multiples, don't you Moe? Have you gone back to work or are you disabled?
It is so good to hear from you. Sorry you are having trouble with a doctor. You deserve better.
multiple ccms in brain including thalamus and in brainstem. 9 bleeds . Large venous angioma and multiple large veins in the brain. Various lymphangiomas and hemangiomas in head.
Libby

Postby Moebird » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Libby - it's good to be back! Yes, I'm a brainstemmer with multiples, including 2 (one new!) in my spinal cord. And right now, I feel like I don't have a neurologist - maybe I don't since the last time I saw the guy in Penticton, I didn't book another appointment - and I don't think he felt that I needed one. I think part of the issue is that he's coasting to retirement, so he doesn't want to tackle a new disease - if I had MS or Parkinsons, things would be fine!
I've been hanging out with the MS group in Osoyoos lately - they have a swim class and a yoga class. I'm wondering if anyone has done any research into the surgery the MS people are having to unblock the veins in their necks? I know a couple of people who've had it done, and wish I could have something like that, even if I only got a little relief. :mrgreen:
Moebird

Postby moox3 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 am

Hi Moe! I haven't been on here in ages, either...that's what happens when I'm feeling well, I guess. I try not to think about it...
Sorry to hear you're not having luck finding relief or a neuro. I go to Dr. Brownlee, here in Kamloops. A nice guy but doesn't really specialize in our issues. Hope you find someone that you can be happy with and takes care of you. I did go see a Dr. Haw in Vancouver when I was first diagnosed, at UBC...don't remember much about him, though.
Good luck - hope tomorrow's a good day,
Lisa
moox3

Postby Cait » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:04 pm

I see Dr. Atwell-Pope, but she's in Victoria, so I'm not sure that'd be worth the ferry trip for you. I have found her great though! She actually listens to what I have to say and doesn't push medication that I don't want.
Around 13 cavernomas scattered throughout brain. Life is just a series of "new normals." :)
Cait

Postby moox3 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi Moe!
I had a great neuro here in Kamloops a couple years ago, when I had my last bleed...however, he has moved back to Vancouver. His name is Dr. Nikolakis...has experience with CM's, great bed-side manner...I'm sad he has moved and will travel to see him again, if and when he is needed again.
Good luck in your search..
Lisa
moox3

Return to Canada