MRI report states Developmental Venous Anomoly

Concerns specific to those in Canada

MRI report states Developmental Venous Anomoly

Postby dragonfly8 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Hello,

We are brand new to this (as in, yesterday). My 6 year old has had symptoms of Tinnitus, vision changes and dizziness since April 2014, constantly (well, the tinnitus is constant, the others are here and there). He was sent for an MRI and I am confused with the results. He is being referred to a Pediatric Neurologist.

Where do I start? Google is scary...........

Is there someone that I could connect with that might be able to shed some light on things for me until we see the Neuro?
I'd be glad to share the rest of the findings, I am just so confused :cry:

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Erin
dragonfly8

Re: MRI report states Developmental Venous Anomoly

Postby vandy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Hello Erin,

Welcome to the forum; you have found a great place to learn more. Sorry the Dr.'s haven't been able to ease your worries and explain a bit more for you.

How is your son? How is he dealing with this? Has he a little understanding of what is going on? Is he scared? Let him know that we think of him and that we all support him.

A developmental Venous Anomaly or DVA, is a malformation found in a vein (often in the brain). The DVA in itself is normally not of a major concern. The DVA does not tend to bleed, like cavernous angioma do. However, a DVA is often accompanied by a cavernous angiom (CA)a, and it is the associated cavernous angioma that bleeds and causes the symptoms, like your son has experienced.

If you review your son's MRI they may mention the CA, or they may not depending on the radiologist that reviewed the MRI. A great Neuro radiologist may provide the neurologist and/or neurosurgeon with the proper information they need to give you a great diagnosis and offer some form of a treatment plan.

Please take some time to review our web site www.angioma.ca and there you will find a list of questions that you can take along to your visit of the pediatric neurologist. We have some informations on DVA's as well but very limited. http://angioma.ca/node/6

JOHN HOPKINS INFO ON DVA: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/nervous_system_disorders/developmental_venous_anomalies_134,73/

and last but not least the Angioma Alliance (US Site) http://www.angiomaalliance.org/pages.aspx?content=71&id=62#.VLv5MtLF-So

Hope this will ease some of your concerns. Please share and ask us anything you like. That is why we are here.

Best wishes,

Henk :ugeek:
vandy

Postby Michelle2000 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:23 am

Erin-

I'm sorry you, your son and your family are going through this. My son was 9 when he was diagnosed. He does not have a DVA, but I understand they should be left alone. They don't usually cause problems, but the CM next to them can.

The ped. neuro can be very helpful in managing symptoms, but you have to find one that is good. We use our local pediatrician for "regular" care, and my son's ped. neuro at Mayo manages the rest and suggests other care when needed. I'm not sure how health care works in Canada, but it is so important to find that rare doctor who understands CMs/DVA and children.

You mentioned in another post that you have four children. I do as well. Having one child with health needs can make it difficult for the others. We discovered that our kids' understanding of what was going on was not as good as we thought it was. Sometimes they just aren't ready to understand, and sometimes it is just hard to explain. My son liked the description of his cavernoma as a mulberry of blood vessels.

Best wishes,

Michelle
17 year old son with brainstem CM resected in March 2010, CM at C2-C3,
CCM2 mutation; DH & BIL with multiples in brain and spine; (MIL - deceased spine & brain)
Michelle2000

Postby dragonfly8 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Thank you for the replies.

My son's MRI report states the following.

FINDINGS: There is a linear area of increased T2 and FLAIR signal intensity extending through the left posterior parietal lobe to the atrium of the left lateral ventricle from the surface of the brain. Otherwise, there are no areas of abnormal signal intensity. The Ventricles and extraaxial CSF spaces are within normal limits.
IMPRESSION: The linear area of altered signal intensity likely relates to a developmental venous anomaly

That is all I know, so far. I'm going to call our Dr's office tomorrow morning to see if they have an appointment date/time for him to see a Pediatric Neurologist.
I guess the concern is that he IS having symptoms, and has had them since April 2014, consistently. His Tinnitus is 24/7, and the vision changes and dizziness are quite sporadic. He sees a pediatric ENT and Audiologist every 6 months. He sees a Hemotologist (who deals with Primary Immune Deficiencies were we live as there are no Clinical Immunologists in my province) once a year, he is also followed by Infectious Disease and Genetics, due to his PID (Chronic Mucocutaneous Candidiasis).

We haven't really said much to him about the results, as my husband and I need to understand them ourselves, first. He does tell me that he wants the "noise" in his ears (I know it's not really in his ears, but it's his best description).
Finding what was found was likely a complete fluke, or maybe it wasn't. I'm not sure. The MRI was done because of his symptoms and complaints, the Dr wanted to see if it showed the cause of his Tinnitus etc. So, I guess I'm curious as to IF these findings could cause Tinnitus?

Sorry for my questions. Drill me on the Immune System and I could give you answers for days. But this is all new to me.

I do have 4 kids. A 20 year old girl, 14 year old boy (both who are healthy aside from food allergies). My 8 year old and 6 year old both have Primary Immunodeficiency, and only my 6 year old has this (whatever it truly is).
dragonfly8

Return to Canada