Hemosiderin Treatment/Removal with Deferiprone

Announcements of drug trials and other treatment information

Hemosiderin Treatment/Removal with Deferiprone

Postby josh » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi All,

In dealing with a new bleed, I am faced with the same "now what" that we all have. The problem is the damage left over from the bleed on the local brain tissue, and an important issue long discussed around here is the issue of the remaining hemosiderin deposits from the blood breakdown, which create their own long term issues in brain function, and possible "glial cell" death.

So quick question, anyone try anti-hemosiderin (iron chelator) therapy with something like Deferiprone ?

When researching ways to help clear hemosiderin deposits, I came upon Deferiprone as a candidate. A couple papers below...

--Josh

=====
Here is a paper from 2010 that discusses this use:

http://www.ajnr.org/content/32/1/E1.full

Deferiprone Reduces Hemosiderin Deposits in the Brain of a Patient with Superficial Siderosis
"While the exact mechanism is unknown, the amount and location of hemosiderin deposition on MR imaging correlate with symptoms and disease burden, with most patients presenting with a combination of hearing loss, cerebellar ataxia, and/or myelopathy due to involvement of the vestibular nerve (eighth cranial nerve), cerebellum, and spinal cord.2"

"We report on a patient with superficial siderosis who was treated with deferiprone for 1.5 years. We found a remarkable reduction in hemosiderin on MR imaging of the brain, associated with clinical improvement in symptoms."

"The presumed mechanism of disease in superficial siderosis is toxicity from iron breakdown products causing glial cell death and eventual neurodegeneration."
=====

Here is a broader study of the same drug from 2011:

"Pilot Safety Trial of Deferiprone in 10 Subjects With Superficial Siderosis"
http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/43/1/120.full.pdf

"The mechanism of disease involves overwhelming toxic iron sequestering by glial cells, and the amount and location of hemosiderin deposition on MR imaging correlate with symptoms and disease burden."

"Recently, we demonstrated the safety and therapeutic efficacy of using deferiprone (L1), a lipid-soluble iron chelator that can cross the blood–brain barrier. This was the first proof-of-concept case showing that removing the iron could stabilize or reverse the disease process"

"Although the time between the last pretrial MRI and the post-trial MRI varied in this ad-hoc
analysis, we still found that a 90-day course of deferiprone therapy was associated with a decrease in hemosiderin deposition by MRI in 4 of the 9 subjects."

"4 subjects claimed to have subjective improvement in neurological function ranging from better coordina-
tion and gait to better hearing, more energy, clearer thinking, and reduced spasticity"
Diagnosed at age 35 after brainstem hemorrhage in December 2010."1.0 x 0.4 x 0.9 cm focal lesion in the anterior aspect of the medulla most consistent with cavernous angioma." MRI in March 2012 shows growth and symptoms worsening (sigh). MRI in Sep 2012 maybe shrinking! New bleed in 2014,CM bigger,recovering OK *meh*
----
The Chronicles of a Rebel Brain http://brainrebel.blogspot.com/
josh

Re: Hemosiderin Treatment/Removal with Deferiprone

Postby vandy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:28 pm

Very interesting. I will have to study up on this !

Henk :ugeek:
vandy

Postby kirkmc » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:11 am

Some years ago, I asked my neurologist about chelation drugs; they're commonly used when there are build-ups of hemosiderin in various organs, but he told me that none of them crossed the brain/blood barrier. These drugs seem to be newer, so i, for one, would be very interested in knowing if they do work, and what the side effects may be. I have a lot of hemosiderin around my lesion, and if some of it could be removed, it could be helpful.

Perhaps one of the science people can weigh in; I'll let them know about this thread.

Kirk
Two brainstem CAs in the pons. Big Bleed in July 2005, previous, undiagnosed bleeds in 1982 and 1987, and several smaller bleeds in the past few years. I live in a town in the French Alps. http://www.mcelhearn.com
kirkmc
Site Admin

Postby josh » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:51 pm

FYI, the neuros that I spoke with about this thought this was pretty far out from what they would consider doing. One top doc suggested better to focus on vascular stabilization as the pressing concern rather than dealing with hemosiderin remnants.
Diagnosed at age 35 after brainstem hemorrhage in December 2010."1.0 x 0.4 x 0.9 cm focal lesion in the anterior aspect of the medulla most consistent with cavernous angioma." MRI in March 2012 shows growth and symptoms worsening (sigh). MRI in Sep 2012 maybe shrinking! New bleed in 2014,CM bigger,recovering OK *meh*
----
josh

Postby josh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:37 am

Just saw this posted on Facebook when someone asked about this there...

"Connie Sarwatka Lee - I talked with Dr. Awad about this medication at our scientific meeting. I had already noticed that the side effect profile for the medication is scary, but I wanted to check in with him. Dr. Awad didn't feel it would be appropriate for people with cavernous angiomas. The drug is intended for large deposits of blood/iron like you would have with TBI or an AVM rupture, not for the small deposits that result from cavernous angioma bleeding/leakage. That doesn't mean there won't someday be a version of this medication appropriate for cavernous angioma - this just isn't it yet."
----
josh

Postby gardengirl1975 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Having had completely useless neurologists, I've had to do research on my own. I found Serrapeptase, and did a whole lot of research on it - it breaks down non living tissue, reduces inflammation, reduces scar tissue, helps with pain (a bit). It's what they use in Europe after surgery instead of nsaid's and opiats. I've been taking it for maybe 3 yrs, and the number of stroke/tia's have gone down and I can think clearer. I DID find a scientific abstract about serrapeptase reducing hemosiderin deposits in the brain - I'd have to relook if anyone wants me to post it. It has NO side effects for me. As a bonus, it also shrinks up the cyst in my left breast, and the giant intramuscular hemangioma under my left butt cheek that makes it feel like I'm sitting on a rock. I'm trying to get discs of my previous mri's so I can try to see any changes for myself, to see if the serrapeptase is having any measurable effect.
gardengirl1975

Return to Drug Trials