Beta Blockers?

Announcements of drug trials and other treatment information

Re: Beta Blockers?

Postby ChrisR » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:01 am

I suspect we will hear similar stories about statins. Both statins and beta blockers are common, so many people with CAs are probably already treated with these drugs for unrelated reasons. Perhaps its a question about dosage. Let's hope, I suppose.
ChrisR

Postby kirkmc » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:05 pm

There is testing going on with statins. So far, there are no conclusive results.
Two brainstem CAs in the pons. Big Bleed in July 2005, previous, undiagnosed bleeds in 1982 and 1987, and several smaller bleeds in the past few years. I live in a town in the French Alps. http://www.mcelhearn.com
kirkmc
Site Admin

Postby ChrisR » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:29 pm

I thought the clinic trails for statin weren't starting until later in the fall. Have they already begun?
ChrisR

Postby kirkmc » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:40 pm

I don't know, but I think the first step is a retrospective study of those already taking statins.
Two brainstem CAs in the pons. Big Bleed in July 2005, previous, undiagnosed bleeds in 1982 and 1987, and several smaller bleeds in the past few years. I live in a town in the French Alps. http://www.mcelhearn.com
kirkmc
Site Admin

Postby NMStacey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Yep-I've been on Propranolol/Inderal for YEARS too, not sure quite how many years, but at least 10-15 years, primarily for controlling my migraines, but also for the possibility of it being beneficial, but certainly not harmful to my cavernomas (doctors words!). I've had several bleeds while on it, but I'll never know if I would have had more without it. After this long of me being on it, they're changing me to Atenolol... not sure how I feel about that-I'm comfortable with Propranolol!
Stacey H
5+ CCMs
Surgery in Feb '10 -right parietal lobe
NMStacey

Postby flavialabbesalza » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi!

My 6 year old son has Multiple familiar cavernomatosis. He has two giant cavernomas (one 8cm the other 4cm) plus 10 others located in different parts of the brain including the brain stem.

When diagnosed we started treatment with propanolol. After 6 months of treatment both large cavernomas decreased its size in aprox. 30%. We have continued with propanolol and decided not to operate.
We know the treatment has not been proven efficacy since we only found it in 2 other cases around the world. In our case apparently it is working.

REgards,

Flavia
(from Chile)
flavialabbesalza

Previous

Return to Drug Trials