Questions about Drs and a new drug

Discussions of issues related to living with cavernous angiomas

Questions about Drs and a new drug

Postby uclapeterg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Dr. Neil Martin has left UCLA so does anyone know who in LA area are neurosurgeons that can deal with Cystic Cavernous Hemangiomas?

On the same note, anyone know a great neurologist for same condition? I am in UCLA Medical Group but might want to switch in January.

And finally, anyone know about a drug called bezacizumab which inhibits blood vessel growth and might be used to reduce activity in the angiomas?

Thanks!
Diagnosed with multiple Cystic Cavernous Hemangiomas in 2001. Had 3 surgeries since then, most recent in 2013. All at UCLA. Have recurring bleeds and ongoing cyst growth and shrinkage causing multiple symptoms.
uclapeterg

Re: Questions about Drs and a new drug

Postby uclapeterg » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:12 pm

FYI the replacement for Dr. Martin at UCLA is Dr. Geoffrey Colby who is from Johns Hopkins. Has anyone dealt with Dr. Colby in the past?
Diagnosed with multiple Cystic Cavernous Hemangiomas in 2001. Had 3 surgeries since then, most recent in 2013. All at UCLA. Have recurring bleeds and ongoing cyst growth and shrinkage causing multiple symptoms.
uclapeterg

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:35 am

Hmmm..interesting. I wonder where Dr. Martin went. I've never heard of his replacement. I have heard Dr. Gonzalez is good but I don't have any personal experience with him. I've never heard of that drug either that I can remember. Geeze...I'm really helpful. ;) Sorry.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:46 am

A little google search tells me Dr. Martin went to Geisinger. I guess Pennsylvania people will be happy about that. :)
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby uclapeterg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:11 pm

FYI Dr. Nestor Gonzalez is now at Cedars Sinai. We've lost three neurosurgeons who left UCLA along with two neurologists and one primary physician. Seems like something is not going well at UCLA!
uclapeterg

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Wow, bummer. I hope my favorite MD doesn't leave, Dr. Marc Nuwer. He's the best.
Elizabeth

Return to Living With Cavernous Angioma