Depression

Discussions of issues related to living with cavernous angiomas

Depression

Postby OldPro » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi. I know that I haven't posted in a while but I'm worried.

My dad is depressed. I have heard him say it on a few occasions but it never really registered with me that he is DEPRESSED and not just saying that he is depressed.

The moment that it hit me was this morning, when we were going to work out. He's been staying in bed for almost two weeks so I thought it was as good a time as any to ask him what is going on and he said that he's been depressed for about 14 years which was around the time that my cavernous angioma occurred. (If you want to know what happened, visit viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1757&p=10695&hilit=age+eight+camping#p10695)

So, I'm asking myself what does he got to be depressed about? He doesn't have all the disabilities I have. He doesn't have a thing in his brain that could explode any moment, cutting off the oxygen to his brain which will inevitably cause death.

All you parents out there, could you tell me whats going through his mind that will result in such a disapproving mood? Thank you in advance for your input.

By the way, I'm not depressed if you were wondering.
2002 CA in brain stem the size of a golf ball
2010 Regrowth of the original
If you want to know what originally happened, visit viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1757&p=10695&hilit=age+eight+camping#p10695
OldPro

Re: Depression

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Oh no, I'm sorry!! Its crazy how this dx affects all the people around us. When we think, "geeze...I'm the patient", but our families fall apart because they " can't handle" our dx. My family was pretty much all a mess...and it was really hard for me to be the stronger one when I was also the sick one. But from a parent's perspective, I don't know exactly what its like. I'm still hoping my kids are not affected, but I don't know for sure...anyways... The thought of my kids potentially having this or some other type of brain lesion makes me sick....with worry. I know that's not helpful, but it still makes me nervous, as much as I try to "not worry". As far as your dad though, he should probably get some professional help. A safe place to discuss his fears rather than internalize them. He probably wants to be brave and tough and for you, but reality is he's scared probably. If he's really actually clinically depressed he needs help. In a flattering way, he loves you so much, he's made himself sick trying to love you. Thing is you probably want his help and support, not him falling apart. He will need to learn how to cope with his feelings better, in order to help support you...a good reminder for me as a parent. You could use him, but if he's all messed up over it, he can't help you. Try to encourage him to get professional help.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Re: Depression

Postby OldPro » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:59 pm

omg I've never thought about it that way
2002 CA in brain stem the size of a golf ball
2010 Regrowth of the original
If you want to know what originally happened, visit viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1757&p=10695&hilit=age+eight+camping#p10695
OldPro

Return to Living With Cavernous Angioma