New here

New members can introduce themselves here

New here

Postby Tpitman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:32 pm

I live in South Florida and had my first Dx of CCM in 2009. Lucky me - right. I had one bleed in my frontal lobe that left me paralyzed on the right side for 3 months. Christmas eve of 2016 I had my 2nd bleed and stroke. They both came after a dental procedure. So I am meeting with my dentist next week to discuss options. I am currently struggling with memory loss and decision making. Which are bad because I work as a teacher!!!!! I have looked at this group for a lot of information and support. Thanks guys!
Tpitman

Re: New here

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Welcome,
I'm sorry you are having problems. Going to the dentist freaked me out too after I was dx. My dentist ended up using lidocaine without the epinephrine when I needed knumbing for a deep cleaning...since I didn't go to the dentist for several years because I was too scared... He said without the epi...it might not work as well or wearoff quickly, but I was fine. Nothing hurt, and it took hours to wear off, way past the procedure. They have to remind me to breathe though...lol...I was sooo nervous. I survived and no problems, so if I need anything in the future(hopefully iwont need anymore) but if I do, I'm going with no epinephrine. Good luck.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby joanncooper » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi Tpitman-
I’m curious if you and your dentist came up with other options. I have put off my crown because I’m scared to death of having them use novacaine on me of any kind! I see that Elizabeth’s dentist used lidocaine without the epinephrine. If epinephrine is the culprit why haven’t we heard more about this?
joanncooper

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:51 am

There's not enough research on "us" to know for sure. The action of epi is a vasoconstrictor(makes blood vessels get smaller) it can increase blood pressure and heart rate too...that's why my doctor skipped it.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Return to Introductions