Information on Dr Hunt Batjer

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

Information on Dr Hunt Batjer

Postby Solace » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:18 am

My husband was recently seen by Dr Hunt Batjer, now at UT Southwestern in Dallas, TX.

His MRI shows multiple cavernous angiomas, including one that has more than doubled in size since his last MRI 3 years ago, now 2.5cm. He has no seizures (that we are aware of), but has been having severe headaches for years.

Dr Batjer has ordered a functional MRI, scheduled for Jan 11th.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had experiences with Dr Batjer they could share.

We are considering trying to get an appt with dr Awad in Chicago, as an additional opinion, but would require travel.
Solace

Re: Information on Dr Hunt Batjer

Postby joanncooper » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Hi Solace,
I do not have experience with Dr. Batjer, but I do with Dr. Awad and highly recommend him. He is one of the best (if not the best) in experience with CM’s. I too had to travel and it was well worth it! What I liked the best about him is he likes to understand your symptoms, lifestyle, what is important to you, etc. and helps you decide what is best for you, not just if he can successfully remove it or not. Your idea of success and many neurosurgeon’s idea of success can be very different, so be careful. It is always good to have second and third or more opinions.

I have many CM’s and the most problematic one is in my brainstem (I've had 3 bleeds). I decided not to have it removed because of the risks of being much, much worse and having more permanent damage compared to what I have.

Hope this helps and good luck!
joanncooper

Postby Connie Lee » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi Solace,
Dr. Batjer is well known to Angioma Alliance. He was a presenter at one of our first family conferences when he was still practicing at Northwestern. He doesn't do CCM research the way Dr. Awad does, but he's an excellent cerebrovascular neurosurgeon.
Connie Lee
President and CEO, Angioma Alliance
17-year-old daughter with CCM3 mutation who has had 4 brain surgeries, T2-L3 spinal fusion
To support Angioma Alliance, visit http://www.Angioma.org/Donate.
Connie Lee
Founder, Angioma Alliance

Postby Solace » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:00 am

Thank you, Connie! Appreciate the info.

Connie Lee wrote:Hi Solace,
Dr. Batjer is well known to Angioma Alliance. He was a presenter at one of our first family conferences when he was still practicing at Northwestern. He doesn't do CCM research the way Dr. Awad does, but he's an excellent cerebrovascular neurosurgeon.
Solace

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma