Dr. Spetzler is retiring in July......

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

Dr. Spetzler is retiring in July......

Postby Kenzielee84 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:52 am

I sent my scans today to Dr. Spetzler. I read that he is retiring. So I called his office. They told me he was leaving in July. If he does recommend surgery, I won't have much time to procrastinate....
Kenzielee84

Re: Dr. Spetzler is retiring in July......

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:02 am

Yes, that's what I've heard. Dr. Lawton from UCSF is supposedly taking over at barrow's but I would probably feel pressured to get Dr. Spetzler if I could and needed surgery. But I may be biased, he did my surgery and even though it didn't go as planned I never doubted my choice of him....my husband did though, and my family was not happy with his bedside manner afterwards. I would personally choice him again if I could and was faced with surgery.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:11 am

But with the above said...I would not let that sway my decision to have surgery. Either you need surgery or not and if the benefits do not outweigh the risks...waiting is a better option. There are many talented surgeons if you need surgery later.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby MeghanB16 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm 16 years old and i had surgery done by Dr. Spetzler about 6 months ago. The cav mal was in my brain stem and it was a successful surgery. They took great care of me and they were so kind. Dr. Spetzler is a sweetheart. I would highly recommend you speak with him about your scans and surgery.They informed me and my family about all we needed to know.
MeghanB16

Postby Kenzielee84 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:48 pm

Meghan, your reply put a smile on my face this morning and gave me hope. Thank you... how are you feeling now?
Kenzielee84

Postby MeghanB16 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 pm

I am much better mentally... in more than one way haha :) It is a huge relief to know i am no longer a ticking time bomb... There are good and bad sides of it of course. I do have physical issues but that is expected because surgery is bound to create agitation. I have right side weakness and very mild spasms but i take medication that helps with that. I attend high school and i can function quite well on my own :D I was in the hospital for exactly one week. One funny side effect from surgery were the hiccups... boy was that interesting. I am very glad i had the surgery. It was a very difficult decision and i was scared but it was worth it. Dr. Spetzler really knows what he is doing and he has a great team behind him that care so much. There has been a roller coaster of emotions the past 8 months but after an experience like that it was expected. If/when you get surgery, I would love to talk with you and answer any questions. I would also like to be there as a comfort because it is a big deal and it can be a lonely journey.
MeghanB16

Postby Kenzielee84 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:06 pm

I'm so happy your doing so well. Dr. Spetzler has said no to surgery at this time. Thank you so much for being so caring. I will definitely contact ya if I need surgery one day. Thank you.
Kenzielee84

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma