Brainstem Cav- Will Double Vision End?

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

Brainstem Cav- Will Double Vision End?

Postby nickypro252 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Diagnosed a week ago (apparently have had 2 bleeds). Anxious to hear if double vision ended for others, and if so- when?
Brainstem cavernoma discovered on 1/10/17 after hemorrhage. Learned it was a second bleed. Thankful for each day!
nickypro252

Re: Brainstem Cav- Will Double Vision End?

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:24 am

I answered ur other post on this,but I didn't address timing... When??? Who knows??? Probably longer than ud like. Brain recovery can be painfully slow...I'm just thankful that it seems to never end even if my progress at this point is slow. I am 6 years out of surgery and stroke and I continue to notice I'm better each year even if I don't notice it daily. Good news, I keep getting better, bad news....I'm not back to "normal" yet.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby Debi32355 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 pm

My double vision lasted about 6 weeks each time (I had it with 2 different hemorrhages). Everyone is different, though. My normal vision came back very quickly though ... I had gotten a temporary prism for my glasses, and I needed it in the morning, but by noon, I couldn't see right with it, and by 3:00 I was tearing it out of the glasses.
Debi (CM at left midbrain/thalamic juncture with 5 hemorrhages)
Debi32355

Postby adelle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:03 pm

I had a brainstem cav with a bleed in 2001 and again in 2009. Both times the double vision resolved in a few weeks, but I had a third bleed in 2010 and did not recover from the double vision. Had surgery in 2010 and still have the double vision. I use prism glasses (fortunately have a wonderful optometrist who specializes in people with brain injuries!) for driving, TV, movies, etc. The rest of the time I do without and have just gotten used to it.
One brainstem CA removed by Dr. Spetzler on 9/28/10. 2 CA's remain on the right frontal lobe but have not caused any problems that I know of.
adelle

Postby CJWalker » Wed May 03, 2017 2:42 am

My first bleed caused double vision which was caused by a left eye paralysis that took roughly 30-45 to resolve but inherent weakness in that eye especially in the periphery remains. Eye exercises and pacing the amount of strain you put on your eyes will help.
CJWalker

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma