Surgeon recommendation

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

Surgeon recommendation

Postby brain123 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:12 am

Hello,
I've just been diagnosed with a brainstem cavernoma and will need surgical resection. I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar surgery with Dr. Abla (UCSF), Dr. Steinberg (Stanford) or Dr. Lawton (Barrow, though my insurance will not cover surgery here so will need to mostly pay out of pocket)- I'd be interested to know what your experience was like, thanks!
brain123

Re: Surgeon recommendation

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:47 am

Welcome,

I had surgery with Dr. Spetzler before he retired. Dr. Lawton replaced Dr. Spetzler and I've heard very good things about him. If I needed a surgery...I hope I never need another...I'd be consulting with Dr. Lawton for sure, but I haven't had surgery with any of the doctors you listed...sorry, I can't really help. Best wishes!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma