Gamma Knife for Occipital Lobe Cavernoma

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

Gamma Knife for Occipital Lobe Cavernoma

Postby Amy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:25 pm

My brother had a grand mal seizure recently and was diagnosed with a cavernoma in his occipital lobe horn. Doctors have told him this location is too deep for microsurgery. He was referred to a gamma knife expert who recommended this procedure for him.

It appears most people do not see gamma knife as a great option. Has anyone had experience with a cavernoma in this location? Can anyone who has gone the gamma knife route say how their experience went?

We are looking into getting info from ASU too so hopefully that will give us some additional guidance as well.

Thank you for any help!
Amy

Re: Gamma Knife for Occipital Lobe Cavernoma

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:38 am

Welcome,

Very sweet of you to try to research for your brother. Are you in the us? Typically here, gamma knife is not recommended for us as it doesn't tend to have good results. It is more common in Europe. I have not heard of occipital lobe as being "inaccessible" very often. He might want to consult with a doctor at one of our "centers for excellence ". You will find knowledgeable doctors and good care there. I don't see how gamma knife could be helpful aside from possibly, maybe slowing down or stopping future bleeds, but with seizures already...it would seem they would want to take out the angioma and see if they could get out any of the old blood without too much trouble.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma