iron-deficiency anemia

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

iron-deficiency anemia

Postby joanncooper » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi all,
I've been diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia. I have a history of this, but no doctor has really been able to give me any answers of why it keeps happening. I try to eat the foods that are good sources of iron (I prefer the natural way), but that doesn't seem to be enough for me. I have a problem with constipation when using the iron supplements, so I was wondering if anyone has ever tried intravenous (IV) iron supplementation? If yes, any side effects from it? Does anyone know if there are any risks doing this when you have a CM in the brainstem?

I've struggled with dizziness and balance issues since my 2014 brain stem bleed. And, the dr. said that iron deficiency anemia can cause dizziness.

Thanks!
joanncooper

Re: iron-deficiency anemia

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:03 am

Sorry you are dealing with anemia on top of cm. I used to become anemic all the time...my monthly cycle was crazy and I would lose solo much blood. Thankfully that's slowed down for now and I'm not having anemia issues anymore, but when I was...I used to eat tons of iron containing foods with bit c cuz its supposed to help absorption. It usually wasn't enough for me either and tried lots of supplements. The one that was most agreeable to me was called sloFe. I never tried shots so I'm not sure how they would work out. Good luck!!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Re: iron-deficiency anemia

Postby joanncooper » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you so much for your response! My appointment is next week to find our more about intravenous (IV) iron supplementation. I'm VERY nervous to try anything these days :(
joanncooper

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma