Costs of surgery

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

Costs of surgery

Postby automartin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to get the financials set for surgery. Does anyone know what an estimated cost is for spinal cavernoma surgery? Even if it's just a basic guess? I called my insurance company and the doctor I'm using it out of network (Dr. Awad) and we'll be paying more, and will also not have an out-of-pocket max. I'm getting worried. :(
automartin

Re: Costs of surgery

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Yikes! Will ur insurance cover anything? I changed insurance so mine would be covered, but I think the bills I saw totals for hospital, suregery, anesthesia, doctors and initial rehab(about 3 weeks total) were something like $125-150,000. I had a ppo so my out of pocket max was like $5,000 at the time and I met it that year and the next. I spent a lot of $ on my recovery because you only get one shot at it and a whole lifetime to live with the outcome. U might also try to get an out of network exception...I did that for my eye MD. If they don't have a qualified expert to do what needs to be done they might pay for you to see someone else. Good luck!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby automartin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Thank you. My insurance will pay 50 percent of everything after we meet our ($600) deductible. No out-of-pocket max.

Do I just call my insurance and try to get an exception? In-network, they pay 80%, with a $3500 out of pocket max.
automartin

Postby automartin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Oh wow - I'm so glad I called my insurance company back!!

Turns out he is in-network, and I will be covered at 80 percent, after $600 deductible, with an out-of-pocket max of $3500.
automartin

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Awesome!!! Congratulations!!! Let us know how it goes!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma